The British live in a decadent country that is dogged by materialism, defensiveness, pessimism, cynicism, frivolity and dependence on the state. All these traits are common at the end of every empire and are the very things central to every News International product.
News International hacking into any voice or email mail box they desire then writing about it under the guise of ‘according to a close friend’ has the public outraged. The same public bought and will continue to buy News International products and continue to bemoan how the country has gone to the dogs. Can you not see why?
Wall to Wall Escapism
Maybe it’s evenings watching arbitrary 3D football and transfer news through a fug of ‘continental’ lager followed by bleary eyed mornings thumbing newspapers created by university educated ‘journalists’ for someone with a reading age of twelve. Mr Beckham’s new tattoo on Sunday, Mrs Beckham’s latest spat on Monday amounts to nothing more than wall to wall escapism. Curiously, our resignation is coupled with the hope that we will magically get to where we want to go in life - because it’s our human right.
This hubristic sense of entitlement was the downfall of Mr Murdoch’s News of the World and it is also the downfall of Great Britain. In the end Cameron, Murdoch, Coulson, Brooks et al. were divorced from reality. They thought themselves too important to be touched. Total political protection and a corrupt self serving police force gave them a free pass – cross us and we will destroy you was the threat. The irony is we too think we are too important to go the same way as Mr Murdoch’s time-honoured red top.
No Man’s Land
The delusional British still bleat on about our heritage and believe that we are living in the glory days of the empire. We still think that we are a global player when actually we are a country that is too small to play with the big boys but too big to look after our people. The reality is that we are living in a pseudo empire hinterland that has lost its sense of service and duty. We are caught in no man’s land which puts us at the mercy of everyone from Murdoch to the financiers and the political class.
This has happened because we have lawyers, credit backed financiers and PR media people running the country. They have created a plutocratic tyranny that has figurehead leaders toadying to masters whilst sweeping the concerns of the public under the corrupt media carpet. And here is the killer: we only have ourselves to blame - the very thing that we are consuming is the very thing that is killing us.
Opiate and Panacea
The reason the Prime Minster looks so out of his depth is that not in is wildest dreams could this have happened. But 20% of the population using new media sites forced the agenda and the other 80% followed suit. Yes incessant sport and freak show celebrity gossip is the opiate of the masses. The panacea is a new media divorced from cynical offshore media proprietors who are taking all of you for a ride.
You have a choice: turn off the glass teat, stop grazing on such banal garbage and re-engage. Or continue along this track and when we get to the logical conclusion read about what’s happened with total disbelief because that ‘should never been allowed to happen to us’.